Before knowing SEO Meaning, understand the technical SEO terms with an example. You decided to go for a weekend gateway and to know the details, you typed “weekend gateways near Pune” in Google as shown in the below image.
So, what did you observe?
Let’s jot down the points.
- Answers to your queries. In technical terms, they are web pages and queries are called search queries. Words or phrase are called target keywords.
- Web pages appeared in the order from 1, 2, 3….. It is called organic rankings.
- There are many pages or search results called as search engine result pages or SERPs.
- Sometimes you often see ADs which are paid search results.
Now you can better understand the SEO meaning.
SEO Meaning or What is SEO?
In simple words, SEO is a technique of optimizing web pages to appear higher in the search engine result pages (SERPs) for a target set of keyword/Phrases.
Also, check out this useful video from Search Engine Land about SEO Meaning.
So, hope you now have understood the SEO meaning.
SEO is one of the digital marketing channels to get traffic, lead or conversions from non-paid or organic search engine results. Optimization is done to improve its ranking and visibility in the search engine result pages. It includes both technical and creative elements which are responsible for improving the rankings, driving traffic and conversions from the search engine result pages. SEO isn’t only building the search engine friendly website but also providing value to the users.
Why is Optimization Needed for search engines?
Search engines are agile, but they still need assistance. The major engines are constantly running to improve their technical expertise to crawl the web more deeply and bring back better results to users. Proper SEO analysis can bring you tons of visitors and increased attention, and at the same time, the wrong practices can hide or lay to rest your site deep in the search results where there is no visibility.
In addition to making content usable to search engines, SEO also helps boost rankings so that searchers will more readily see it. The internet is becoming increasingly competitive, and those who perform SEO will have a number of visitors and customers. You can also become SEO Expert by gaining the insights from the posts mentioned on this blog. Don’t forget to check SEO Audit checklist!
Why is SEO needed for a Website?
The important reasons for using SEO for your site are as follows-
1. The majority of web traffic is driven by the major search engines that are Google, Bing, and Yahoo!. Social Media & other platforms can drive traffic and generate visits, but still, most internet users prefer search engines as the primary source, whether they are seeking information or looking to buy products or services. So if you are not using this important channel, you are losing many potential users.
2. Search engines provide targeted and relevant traffic as of what people want and what the website can provide. If you can provide the information or results to the queries of people. Then, you can get the targeted traffic as well as conversions.
Example: If someone wants insurance so he may type “best insurance companies” as the search query.
What if your website is ranking #1 for that search query?
You might get lead or sale as well!
Better Visibility = Increased Sales
Research has shown that 87% of consumers use search engines (over 60% use Google) for research before purchase
3. It has been observed that search engine traffic can build (or break) an organization’s success. Targeted traffic to a site can provide awareness, revenue, and exposure like no other channel of selling can do. Investing in SEO can deliver an exceptional return on investment compared to other types of marketing and publicity. Website SEO analysis is essential for its optimization.
What is Crawling in SEO?
The basic meaning of crawling is following a path.
In SEO, crawling means following the links on your web pages and “crawling” around your website.
In order to stop crawling certain parts of our site, you can mention it in the robots.txt file by updating it.
What is Indexing in SEO?
Indexing is the process of adding the web pages in your site into Google search result pages.
In order to stop indexing, add no index tag on your web pages.
Usage of robots.txt, noindex and noindex nofollow both
There are chances of indexing if you have updated robots.txt file and not added no index tag to the page. And you may observe the results as shown in the below snapshot.
Image Credit- https://www.seroundtable.com/google-robots-snippet-15576.html
If you are sure not to index pages then use noindex tag only. In case, you don’t want to follow the links as well on those pages. Then use meta nofollow and noindex tags both on the page.
Important SEO Factors
SEO factors are responsible for improving organic rankings, driving traffic or conversions. So optimize the site with both types of factors- On Page & off Page SEO Factors for ranking higher in the search engine result pages.
On Page SEO Factors
- Website URL Structure
- Website Meta Tags
- Heading Tags(H1, H2, H3)
- Keyword Density
- Image ALT Text
- Internal Linking Optimization
- Canonical Tags
- Site Speed
- Website Errors
- Google Analytics
- Google & Bing Webmasters
- Mobile Friendly Version
For more details, check out the post of Brain Dean “On-Page SEO Anatomy”
Off Page SEO Factors
- Link Building
- Social factors including sharing and engagement.
- Online Reputation Management
Check the below info-graphic for on page and off page SEO Factors
Latest posts by Shruti Panwar (see all)
- 5 Metrics to Analyze the Success of Facebook Video Performance - December 13, 2017
- Basic Shopify SEO Checklist for E-commerce Website - December 6, 2017
- How to Write Compelling Meta description for SEO to increase CTR? - November 27, 2017