On September 23, 2016, Google finally released Penguin 4 Google Update. Let’s check how to plan link building strategies after Penguin 4.
Penguin 4 Google Update Key Points
Penguin 4.0 is now a part of Google’s core algorithm. The main aim of this update is to penalize the websites that use black-hat link building techniques to rank higher in the search engines.
Penguin is now real time, so changes will be seen as the web page is re-crawled and re-indexed by search engine bots if it’s affected. It is now more granular and devalues only the affected pages, rather than penalizing the whole site. As a result, need to properly plan link building strategy.
How to check if your site is affected by Penguin 4 Google update?
1. If you see irregular ranking patterns for your target keywords or web pages in SERPs.
2. If organic traffic to the site drops drastically.
How to plan Link Building Strategies Post-Penguin 4?
1. Follow white hat SEO techniques and create quality links over quantity for your site. Try to put links naturally rather than intentionally in order to build links
2. Practice backlink analysis regularly and remove the penalized links as soon as possible. For better results, check the spam score of links.
3. Try to do build links on authoritative sites having good DA, PA, PR, traffic and Alexa rank.
4. Monitor the positions of your web pages for the target set of keywords in SERPs to see if the ranking is affected due to Penguin 4.0.
5. As Penguin 4 is now at a granular level so try build links for inner pages or posts rather than the home page.
6. Follow local SEO including citation building, listing on main web directories or social profiles in order to build the strong online reputation.
7. Stop following link buying or exchanging practices instead earn links by relationship building.
8.“ Content is king” so try to build high-quality, relevant and unique content in the link building activities. Avoid spamming of content by stuffing target keywords over and over.
9. Insert rich Anchor text which makes sense and looks natural. Follow more and more brand building activities.
10. Keep variations of target URL for your link building strategies. Don’t use the same URL again and again.
To recover from penguin 4 setup your site property in Google Search Console for the domain and sub-domain. And update a disavow file with all the bad links for removal of low-quality links.
How to Disavow Bad Links?
Page Rank is based on the inbound links coming from other sites to your site. Page Rank is a crucial factor while building links or planning link building strategies. In general, a link from a site is treated as a vote for determining the quality of your site.
Google works very hard and makes sure that links from third-party sites do not penalize a site. You should remove all the spammy and low-quality links to your site. According to Penguin 4, Google will penalize your web page having bad or low-quality links. So use disavow tool for its removal.
Disavow tools is an advanced feature of Search Console or webmasters and need to be used with caution. If this is used incorrectly, it can affect your site’s performance in Google’s SERPs. It is recommended that you disavow backlinks only if it is penalizing site or spammy or low-quality.
Disavowing is a two-step process. First of all, you’ll need to download a list of links to your site that which you want to remove.
Use the best tool to analyze the backlinks
Next, you’ll create a file having all the spammy or low-quality links.
- Go to https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/disavow-links-main
- Select your site on which you want to disavow files.
- Click the Disavow links tab.
- Choose the created file above and remove bad links.
Link Building Strategies
These have evolved drastically in the past years and now link earning techniques are more popular than the traditional link building.Link Earning is better than Link Building in 2017Click To Tweet
Link Earning V/S Link Building
1. Link earning is getting links from other sites in a natural way without your direct involvement. When you publish high-quality and unique content and you send an email or it lands higher in SERPs of Google. Then, people read, share and link it to their own site. Site owners or bloggers add your link to their content because they believe that it can provide valuable information. Whereas, traditional link building is exchanging or buying links which look unnatural and spammy. Thus link baiting is getting more popular these days
2. Promote your posts on social media channels which are liked, shared and added in form of links by the site owners or bloggers. As this has the higher value than bulk submissions on social bookmarking sites. It helps you to earn credibility and authority in your industry as well.
3. Earn links by making relevant, unique and high-quality content and ask people to links in the form of weekly or monthly roundups on the popular sites of your niche. This is a natural way of earning link rather than by buying and building links.
4. Build citations on authoritative sites such as Yelp, Manta, BrownBook, Foursquare, and Yellow Pages, etc. Stop performing bulk submissions on poor quality sites in order to increase links.
5. Participate actively on forums, blog commenting, Q & A related to your niche as a real representative. This will help you not only to improve the authority of your site but also in becoming an influencer in your niche.
6. Stop using Private blog network, link wheel and link farm practices and be a social influencer by participating in discussions on all social media channels.
List of Effective Link Building Strategies in 2017
- Roundups (Weekly, Monthly)
- Guest Posting
- Broken Link Building
- Citation Building
- Link Baiting
- Link Reclamation
- Infographic Submission
- Relationship Link Building
For more details, check link building techniques.
Follow these link building strategies to remain unaffected or recover from Penguin 4.0 to stay ahead in this competitive online industry.
Latest posts by Shruti Panwar (see all)
- 8 Key SEO Metrics You Should Track in 2018 - June 15, 2018
- Ecommerce Marketing: 10 Useful Tips to Market Your Online Store - May 25, 2018
- 7 Useful Google AdWords Features you should be using - May 14, 2018