Keywords are the backbone of Digital Marketing from SEO to paid marketing. It is very important to optimize keywords in the content, meta tags and URL. Learn how to research keywords for SEO by this step by step keyword research guide including useful tips.
How to Research Keywords for SEO?
SEO Keyword Research is one of the deciding factors in search engines. It can make or break a website marketing efforts. There should be targeted visitors on the site and that can only be through right selection of keyword. Follow the steps mentioned in this keyword research guide.
Step 1 – Choosing The Right Keywords For SEO
Choosing the right Keywords for SEO is a very important step of this keyword research guide. So find your target keywords by following the below-mentioned SEO keyword tips and learn how to research keywords for SEO.
Keyword Research Tips for Choosing The Right Keywords For SEO
1. Ask the following questions-
Is the keyword relevant?
Will keyword able to answer the query asked by searchers?
Will it be able to fulfill organizational goals?
2. Do a search and see if the website rankings or ads running on the top of organic search results for assumed keywords. As this shows the how popular or value of assumed keywords.
3. You can check search terms provided by webmasters or Google Analytics for your website.
4. Using long-tail keywords (keywords query that contains more than 3 words) is an important strategy in SEO keyword research tips
5. Competition should be less as it is worthless targeting keywords that are already targeted by high domain authority websites.
6. You can also check the keyword difficulty and take the average score keywords.
7. Understand your audience and opportunities
A. Semantic search: It should be based on the intent of a searcher.
Three tips on choosing the intent based keywords
1. Foundational keywords: Think of that keywords and synonyms which customers may type to search for your product/ service.
2. Auto-suggest keywords. See the screenshot below
3. Related keywords. See the screenshot below.
B. Commercial Intent: Ready to buy type keywords like Nike red shoes.
C. Informational Intent: Informational providing keywords related to your products and services.
D. Long tail keywords: Long tail keywords are better for conversion. Reasons for selecting it are
1. They are specific.
2. Convert better in later stages of buying cycle.
3. 70% Searches come from long tail keywords.
4. People are typing what they exactly need that contains more than 3-4 words and Google is targeting that.
Also, think from customer’s point of view
i. What are the biggest roadblocks they face
ii. What type of information is valuable to them
iii. Demographics and location factor
iv. Type of people interested in
v. What type of related information they will search
vi. Check yahoo answers and Quora to know what people are talking about keywords.
Also, plan the right Keyword strategy using above tips for choosing the right keywords for SEO.
Step 2- Build List
Make topics on above points along with topics on which website is focused about. Break topics into keywords and related keywords. Use tools such as Google keyword planner, easyseotools, ubersuggest and more other tools to build the list of keywords.
Step 3 – Check Search Volume & Difficulty
This is an important step in learning how to research keywords for SEO. Add keywords in keyword planner by MOZ, Google, Webconfs or SEMrush to check the average volume searches and competition or Keyword Difficulty. Pick those keywords which have large average search Volume and low or medium competition or less difficulty. Select keywords according to relevancy.
Step 4 – Check Relevancy & Authority
To know the relevancy and authority, type keyword in Google and check page authority, domain authority & Google trends, social shares. Take low to medium PA & DA keywords to rank quickly.
Step 5 – Finalize keywords
After learning how to research keywords for SEO, add keywords in excel file and check the current rankings for them. Monitor keyword rankings every month to optimize and improve rankings.
So, follow these steps and tips mentioned in this keyword research guide to increase organic rankings in the search engines.
Best Keyword Research Tools
- Google Adword keyword Planner tool.
- Keyword Explorer from Moz.
- Google trends for checking latest trends
- Long Tail Pro for long tail keywords
- Ubersuggest for generating list
- Easyseotools for generating list
- Buzzsumo for checking social shares.
- Quora for checking queries
- Yahoo answers for checking queries
- KW Finder
Use the above tools mentioned for different purposes in this keyword research guide.
Important Facts about Keywords Optimization
Usage: Make your main keyword to be the part of crawling by properly placing it on the content.
Domination: Search engine determines the relevance of a particular keyword mapped in the content.
Stuffing: Gone are the days when using a targeted keyword everywhere and easily come up higher in rank. Now search engines check the relevancy and penalized for using keywords more than 2-3 % of your content. Follow the below mentioned SEO Keyword Research Tips to increase the organic ranking and traffic to the site.
On Page Keyword Optimization
1. Use target keywords in on page activities in following ways-
1. In title Tag Once
2. Once near the top of the page.
3. 2- 3 % in the body of Content.
4. Once in the alt attribute of the image.
5. One time in URL.
6. Once in a meta description tag.
Important tip- Do not use the main keyword in anchor text pointing to the other page of your site called as Keyword cannibalization.
2. Meta Tags: Title, description and focused Keywords are called meta tags.
Title: It is a blue line when searched in the search bar of the search engine. Follow these steps to optimize-
1. It should be 65- 70 Characters.
2. Place important keywords to the front.
3. It should have a readable and emotional impact as it is the first impression for your readers. Check title optimization tips for more details.
Description: It is a short description of 2-3 lines below the title. This should be effective enough to grab the reader’s attention and he/ she clicks on the title.
Keywords: Once there was a time when the keyword is taken into account. But now it has a little value as people used to put lots of keywords say 500 and difficult for search engine to take it into an account. So now just 2-3 keywords in case it is crawled by search engine.
3. URL construction Guidelines
1. Add the main keyword of your content in the URL.Keep URL and short and simple.
2. Keep URL and short and simple.
3, Only use target keyword once.
4. Use static URLs.
5. Use hyphens to separate.
Canonicalization: It occurs when there are 2 different URLs for the same Content. It is mainly seen in content management system. You must have seen certain URL are open from http://domainname and http://www.domainname as well, so difficult for search engine to distinguish and it lowers the rank. It can either be redirected using 301 or add the canonical tag to prioritize the main URL.
So hope this useful step by step keyword research guide will help you in learning how to research keywords for SEO.