What are Google Algorithm Updates?
Earlier Search Engines process was mainly based on two step process-
1. Putting as many targeted keywords as possible also called keyword stuffing.
2. Building links on free sites pointing to the main website also called as Link Farming or Link Wheel.
But Google realized that it was not able to serve the relevant answer to people based on their search queries and also good websites are nowhere in the picture. So, it introduced three major updates called Google Algorithm Updates. These algorithms completely changed SEO strategies.
Here is the post to check what are Google algorithm updates in SEO and how to remove the penalty from these Google algorithm updates.
Google Panda Update
It came on February 23, 2011. The aim of this algorithm to bring high-quality sites up in order in ranking and lower the rank of low-quality sites. The main factor responsible for a low-quality site is ‘content stealing’. It is also called ‘Farmer’ as people steal the content from different good websites and paste it on their website to rank high for keywords. Here is the list of other factors that it considers.
- Content should be trustworthy.
- The article is written by the person who has knowledge of that field.
- No spelling and grammar mistake.
- Content is written to increase user experience.
- It should be original.
- Excessive ads to distract the users from the Content.
Panda Update- How to Remove Google Penalty?
- Check for Plagiarism, i.e. duplicate content using Plagiarism tools and remove it. In case, you don’t want to remove add a no-index tag to the web pages having it.
- Reduce bounce rate: It should be less than 60%, add visual content, videos, call to action and reduce load time.
- Retain visitors.
- Improve user experience
Google Penguin Update
This Google update in SEO came on April 24, 2012. The aim of this is to penalize sites for having unnatural links to come up high in search results. A link is considered to be an important factor for ranking when incoming link coming from a highly authoritative site, but links coming from many websites also elevate rank before this update.
Penguin Update- How to Remove Google Penalty?
- Remove unnatural links.
- Avoid Link farming and Link Wheel and other outdated SEO practices.
- Reduce keyword stuffing.
- Don’t over optimize.
Also, check out how to plan Link Building Strategies post-Penguin 4.
Google Hummingbird Algorithm
This Google SEO Algorithm came on September 26, 2013. The aim of this is to provide better results for search queries. It uses the intent of a search query and provides results accordingly.
Like: “best place to eat”
Here place means restaurants, so it will provide that results
Read the comparisons below.
Before Hummingbird Effect
- Keyword based answers
- Same search results
- Don’t use user information
- Provide option to search more and more.
After Hummingbird Effect
- Question-based (why, when, who)
- Different results based on current circumstances
- Use user information like previous download, social shares etc
- Start answering questions called conventional search.
Hummingbird Update- How to Remove Google Penalty?
- Use long tail keyword.
- Conversational Content.
- Add structured data to serve better results
- Engaged Content.
The main aim of this update is to provide local search results to serve users in a better way.
Pigeon Update- How to Remove Google Penalty?
- Accurate citations.
- Local keywords
- Listed on directories.
- Good Reviews and response to negative reviews.
The aim of this update is an optimized website for mobile devices by using responsive design.
Summary of the above Google algorithm updates in SEO.
Also, check the Google Algorithm Change History for other small updates.
Latest posts by Shruti Thakur (see all)
- How To Link Instagram To Facebook Business Page? - April 24, 2017
- Five Important Benefits of Blogging for Business & Marketing - April 17, 2017
- How To Become a Good Freelancer? - April 14, 2017