Developing a Content Marketing Strategy is crucial for creating an effective content. Here are the four important steps on how to develop a content marketing strategy.
Step 1 – Setting Content Marketing Goals
Plan your content marketing goals- SMART [Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely]
For example- “I want to get 1000 visits, 50 leads and 15 new customers through my blog post.” Set your SMART goals based on your industry requirement.
Step 2- Auditing for Content Marketing Strategy
Follow the below-mentioned process for auditing the content on a new or already existing site.
1. Search the existing content using screaming frog and analyze the missing tags and pages having less than 300 words content.
2. Organize the content in excel based on topic, length, tone, relevance, datedness, features.
3. Analyze the key metrics such as traffic, engagement metrics including time spent, social shares, bounce rate, exit rates and assisted conversions. You will get these data in Google Analytics.
4. Analyze the gaps by making pivot tables including the topic is latest or not, evergreen or not, created for beginner’s or experts, etc. Check if additional content is required to make it appealing and more valuable for readers. Also, check the missing content on the site and practice content ideation to generate more content.
5. Set the goals with SEO team and develop a documented content marketing strategy.
Also, set the event based priorities including upcoming events or projects.
Step 3- Identify and Plan Content Marketing Elements [ 3 W + H ]
Content Marketing elements include buyer persona, buyer journey, type of website content and channels which can also be denoted as 3 W + H- Who, What, Where, How ….
Who – Buyer or Buyer Persona
Where- Buyer’s Journey
How- Content Marketing Channels or Promotion or Distribution Channels
Step 4- Measurement and Analyzation
It is important to measure and analyze your content marketing efforts done in the above steps. For more details check Content Measurement & Analyzation.
It is important to analyze the buyer’s persona in order to target the right type of content at right time of buyer’s journey through the right channel and measure it. So check out the below infographic to know how to develop a content marketing strategy.
Now that you have learned how to develop a content marketing strategy through the above infographic. Let’s understand how to plan content marketing strategy with the below example.
Suppose there is a newly launched class who provides Digital Marketing Courses. Learn here how to develop a content marketing strategy for it.
Step 1- SMART Goals
“I want to get registrations for 10 students for Digital Marketing course in a month through my site.”
Step 2 – Content Auditing
The class analyzed its existing content and come to a conclusion that it lacks the content which can develop at least a basic understanding related to Digital Marketing Course and why they should join.
Step 3- Identifying Content Marketing Elements
1. Who- Buyer persona including background, demographics, goals, challenges and identifiers.
Background- Unemployed Computer Science Engineer
Goals- To get a job
2. Where- Identify where is the buyer in buyer’s journey. In this case, he is the first stage i.e awareness.
3. What- To solve the problem of the above buyer and audience in similar segment the class can create an e-book – “How To Become a Successful Digital Marketer In 30 Days”
4. How- Promotion of book on social media channels, forums, discussions.
Step 4- Measure the above content marketing campaign
This way Digital Marketing class can help him to read their e-book. It helps in getting their email IDs through landing page and then they can contact in person. There are also chances that, people can fill in the contact form directly by reading an e-book. It can drive leads directly and indirectly as well. So a win-win situation.
So now that you have learned how to develop a content marketing strategy. Now it’s time to learn how to create an effective content in the next chapter of this content marketing guide.
Latest posts by Shruti Panwar (see all)
- 8 Key SEO Metrics You Should Track in 2018 - June 15, 2018
- Ecommerce Marketing: 10 Useful Tips to Market Your Online Store - May 25, 2018
- 7 Useful Google AdWords Features you should be using - May 14, 2018